Sunday, February 19, 2012

My best birthday ever!

 "Happy Birthday!",  my husband exclaimed at 7:00 am, "let's get moving."  We quickly got ready, gathered our supplies and put them in the car, stopped for coffee and gas then hit the road.

Hubby had a surprise for me for my Birthday... a road trip but I didn't know where we were heading except to Culpepper to visit an antique mall and that I had to pack enough for overnight.  It was a beautiful cool October day.  The first day it had felt like fall.  We turned on the radio and sang to classic rock songs all the way up to Culpepper.  I can't remember when we've had so much fun.

We headed out on Rt. 522 to Rt. 3 from Richmond, VA about 8:00 in the morning.  We arrived in Culpepper, VA in Green County at the intersection of Rt. 29 and Rt. 33 where there are several antique or "junktique" shops as we call them and checked out several of them.







We then headed towards Christiansburg on I-81 to Rt. 58 where my husband finally told me we were going to Meadows of Dan, my favorite place, to stay the night and spend the next day.  As we were driving towards Meadows of Dan it was pretty late and we could not find a place that was open or had any vacancies. We drove on and finally stopped outside of Meadows of Dan at a motel that looked closed.  We took a chance and knocked on the door.  Luckily they were still awake and rented us a room.  We quickly took showers and fell into bed, exhausted from our day of exploring.


Bright and early Sunday morning we got dressed and headed to town for breakfast.  As we were driving to the Mabry's Mill Restaurant and Gift Shop I saw the mill in the early morning light... I sucked in my breath in awe of the sight and exlaimed, "it's gorgeous, this was so worth the trip!"  Of course, I immediately want to jump out and take pictures as my hubby was dragging me to the restaurant because he was hungry.

We splurged on breakfast and had buckweat pancakes with real maple syrup and butter, omlets, bacon, grits and homemade buttermilk biscuits.  It was a true feast.  Then the waitress brought me a piece of cake with a candle in it and sang "Happy Birthday."  Of course, it was too early for cake so we boxed it up.

We also visited a few of the shops in town then decided to visit our favorite winery Chateau Morrisette and take the tour.  It was incredible!  After the tour we grabbed a bite to eat outside and listened to a visiting singer.
Cateau Morrisette Winery-Favorite wine is Sweet Mountain Laurel a sweet white wine.
A must stop is the Country Store.

Nancy's Candy Co.-What an experience!


On the way home we visited a few spots on the Blue Ridge Parkway like Lover's Leap and saw a few covered bridges.


Many a visitors to this site and they left their marks.




Ah a beautiful sunset on the Blue Ridge Parkway.


We took Rt. 460 to Rt. 29 to Amhurst, VA then Rt. 60 home.  It was an incredible trip and an incredible birthday! One of my most memorable.  Thanks to my hubby!

2 comments: